The WSDOT SR 520 Program is hosting a public meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Meeting topics will include:
- Recap of the November 2018 meeting on the Montlake Market property
- How WSDOT evaluated various ideas for preserving the market building
- Overview of Graham Contracting Ltd.’s construction proposal
- Potential scenarios for preserving the market building
- Technical constraints and tradeoffs associated with the scenarios
- Montlake Market property soil-testing update
- Next steps
Date/Time: Wednesday, Jan. 30, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
WSDOT presentation at 5:45, followed by small-group discussions
Location: St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2100 Boyer Ave. E., Seattle, WA 98112
Parking: Limited free parking is available onsite
Transit: Bus routes 43, 48, 255, 311, and 545 serve the Montlake/SR 520 area. The U Link light-rail station at Husky Stadium is about one mile from St. Demetrios Church
Montlake Market Property Q&A from November meeting published
Thank you to all who attended our Nov. 7, 2018, public meeting regarding the Montlake Market. We received many questions from the community that night, and in the following weeks, about the SR 520 Montlake Project and how our construction might affect the market. We’ve compiled those questions and answered them in our latest Montlake Market Property Q&A document, which you can find online.
How to reach us and stay informed about SR 520 construction:
- Call the SR 520 information line (206-770-3554) with questions or concerns.
- Email SR 520 staff with your questions about the project or construction activities.
- Visit the SR 520 Orange Page for the most up-to-date information on closures and construction impacts.
- Visit the SR 520 Program website to find general information about the project.
- Follow us on Twitter @wsdot_520 to get key news and updates about the SR 520 program.
Call if you can, text if you can’t
Text-to-9-1-1 is a new service in King County that will help those who are deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired, and anyone who might be unsafe if they were to be heard by an intruder or abusive partner. While texting to 9-1-1 is a vital tool that increases accessibility to emergency services, the preferred method for those who can speak is to call.
If you do need to text 9-1-1 in an emergency:
- Open the text messaging program on your cell phone
- Create a new message
- Enter the numbers 911 in the “To” field
- Send the location of the emergency – including the city – and the type of emergency help needed – police, fire, or medical – in the first message
- Keep text messages brief and concise
- Type complete words, no abbreviation
- Stay with your phone and be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions from 9-1-1 call takers
There are limitations to text-to-9-1-1 including:
- The system can only receive text, no pictures, videos, or emojis
- Texts to 9-1-1 are treated like all other texts, there is no priority
- Texting can be slower than making a voice call
- The system can only respond to texts in English
Please help keep 9-1-1 available for those who need it. Do not send test texts. Text-to-9-1-1 is not for anonymous tips.
Do you need a last-minute holiday gift for family or friends?
You’re in luck. Great looking, high-quality Montlake gear has arrived.
You will receive an email with your order confirmation and instructions for payment and pick up.
Thank you for your support!
Unisex Hooded Pullover S, M, L, XL Light Gray $35
Unisex Crew Pullover S, M, L, XL Light Gray $30
Women’s fitted Zip S, M, L, XL Navy $35
Unisex Long-Sleeved S, M, L, XL Dark Gray $20
Unisex Short-Sleeved S, M, L, XL Dark Gray $20
Women’s Fitted Short Sleeved S, M, L, XL Navy $20
Hooded Zip S, M, L Navy $35
Long Sleeved S, M, L Navy $20
Mesh One size Navy $20
Cloth One size Navy $20
Please join the Montlake Community Club for their annual LIGHT UP THE NIGHT Fundraiser this Sunday at Cafe Lago. Along with the special treats Cage Lago has in store for you, the MCC will be raffling off some pretty amazing items – just in time for the holidays. Included will be our BIKE MONTLAKE donation – a Cannondale Trail 16 Single-Speed Bike in Turquoise donated by the Montlake Bike Shop, our LUXURY IN MONTLAKE gift basket containing a fabulous assortment of Aveda Products donated by Glam & Tonics. Check out our two baskets containing our newly released MONTLAKE WEAR including our high quality Montlake branded sweatshirts, tees and ball caps. Or, bid on our GET LIT donation and a chance to sit back and relax next holiday season while Holiday Spirit Lighting lights up the exterior front of your home, or finally, take advantage of our HOME BAKED basket with the promise of five delicious baked fresh holiday treats delivered to your door this holiday season. Raffle tickets $5. To make dinner reservations, visit cafelago.com and note LIGHT UP THE NIGHT fundraiser in the notes section so the staff will be sure to treat to some extra holiday cheer! We can’t wait to see you! The Montlake Community Club
This is Frank Cammarano. I am the Coordinator of the Greenways Initiative.
We will have the opening at the Interlaken stairway sight on December 8 at 9:30 am, with a celebration from 10am-noon at Montlake Community Center.
At this time I have scheduled a face painter for the children, and music from local buskers.
We will have coffee, tea, hot water for cocoa, and a number of treats for your enjoyment.
Thanks all. I look forward to meeting you on December 8th.
Join the Montlake Community Club and Cafe Lago this December 9 from 5-9pm for a festive evening to raise money for the twinkling white lights lining the streets through our Montlake Business District. This fun night will be filled with great food and wine, incredible raffle items,(donated by our fabulous Montlake shops and businesses) and fun community. Cafe Lago will be serving complimentary treats throughout the evening, so be sure to note “WINTER LIGHTS” when you make your reservation at cagelago.com. In addition, Cafe Lago is generously donating 10% of the evening’s proceeds to help underwrite the cost to install the lights. For more details visit montlake.net or cafelago.com
Dear Montlake Neighbors:
In preparation for future SR 520 construction, crews will drill holes later this month in the roadway near the SR 520/I-5 interchange to evaluate the soil and geotechnical conditions within WSDOT’s right of way. This work is planned for the week after Thanksgiving and will occur during nighttime hours to minimize traffic impacts and protect the safety of workers and the traveling public.
WSDOT has received the necessary permits, including a temporary noise variance from the city of Seattle, to complete this work. The work will be performed using construction best management practices and sequenced in a way to minimize the duration and level of noise nearby residents may hear. Nearby neighbors may see lights and hear intermittent noise from drilling equipment.
This work will require nighttime lane and ramp closures. These closures, listed below, will take place from approximately 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night:
Monday, Nov. 26
- Crews will close the left lane of the on-ramp from westbound SR 520 to southbound I-5
Tuesday, Nov. 27
- Crews will close the ramp from southbound I-5 to eastbound SR 520
Wednesday, Nov. 28, and Thursday, Nov. 29
- Crews will close the off-ramp from westbound SR 520 to East Roanoke Street
If you have any questions during this work, please call the on-call SR 520 representative at 206-200-9484.
Public Meeting, pre-design study
Wednesday, December 5, 2018
6:30 – 8 p.m.
Graham Visitors Center
2300 Arboretum Drive E, Seattle 98112
Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR), in equal partnership with the University of Washington Botanic Gardens (UW), and the Arboretum Foundation (AF) are engaging in a pre-design study for the building of a new Environmental Education Center at Washington Park Arboretum. This new facility will allow the current youth and adult education programming to expand by nearly double those currently served annually. The desired goal is to serve 20,000 children and adults annually from diverse communities across the region.