The community has demonstrated over and over how much they care about the Montlake Boulevard market, and yet WSDOT continues to plan for demolition. The Montlake Community Club, along with the Montlake Market store and property owners are continuing the fight to save the Montlake Market and once again need your help.
WSDOT has never prepared an environmental impact statement (EIS) addressing the impacts of destroying the Montlake Market. Recently, WSDOT issued a second “re-evaluation” explaining its latest rationale for continuing to rely on the seven year old EIS that did NOT evaluate destroying the Montlake Market. WSDOT prepared and issued the re-evaluation without seeking public comment. This is the second re-evaluation that departs from their promise to avoid destroying the market, even though the market was identified as a community priority and slated for protection in the project’s final EIS and Record of Decision. This re-evaluation is also the second time that WSDOT has said the condemnation and demolition of the property will not result in any adverse social impacts, business displacement, or noise impacts to the community.
We are running out of options to save the Market. However, there is a provision in the law that may compel WSDOT to hold a public meeting to address the adequacy of their latest re-evaluation. We cannot use this provision unless there is massive support from the community asking for a public hearing.
How can you help? Please use the sample letter below and send it to WSDOT, the State Attorney General’s Office and the Federal Highway Administration (emails below). Copy email@example.com and the MCC will also make sure that each letter is printed and sent by mail. We need at least 50 people to do this, but would be thrilled with many more. Please sign your letter with your name and mailing address no later than Friday, 8/17/18. The individual email addresses are as follows:
We are requesting, in accordance with WAC 197-11-610, that the Washington State Department of Transportation and all other appropriate agencies hold a Public Hearing concerning SR 520, Project Program #852004B and Project #U52004B for the Environmental Re-evaluation #2, dated 7/18/18, within its jurisdiction to obtain comments on the adequacy of adopting the Environmental Re-evaluation (a federal environmental document) for the demolition of the Montlake Boulevard Market as a substitute for preparing a SEPA EIS. WSDOT is required to reconsider its adoption of Environmental Re-evaluation in light of the public comments.
Summary is as follows:
- The new Re-evaluation incorrectly states that there is no social impact in tearing down the Market and the gas station. Both WSDOT and the State Legislature has recognized that there is a social value of the Market and gas station to the community.
- The new Re-evaluation fails to meet the terms and conditions of the Legislative Mandate to make the necessary efforts to save the Market.
- The new Re-evaluation is not in accordance with the Health Impact Assessment for the SR 520 Project guidelines.
- The process fails to meet the guidelines established by the WSDOT Design Manual and the WSDOT Environmental Manual.
- The demolition of the Market fails to meet WSDOT “Context Sensitive Design” guidelines.
- The Programmatic Agreement, through the FEIS and the ROD, contemplated that the Market would stay. In fact, the plan was to preserve it. Those signatory to the agreement should be able to rely on this representation. The programmatic agreement would have been a substantially different document had the parties known that the Market and the gas station would be demolished.
We formally object to the SR 520 Re-evaluation #2, dated 7/18/18 and the demolition of the Montlake Boulevard Market and gas station.”
Thank you for your support.