On Tuesday, Sept. 8, crews for the SR 520 West Approach Bridge North Project (WABN) plan to close the 24th Avenue East bridge over SR 520 for up to six months. This necessary closure will allow crews to extend the overpass to the north and make room for a new off-ramp to East Lake Washington Boulevard at 24th Avenue East. This new off-ramp will replace the existing westbound off-ramp to Lake Washington Boulevard in the Arboretum, scheduled to be removed in 2016.
During the approximately six-month closure, all bicycles and pedestrians will be detoured to the Montlake Boulevard sidewalk via East North Street. Over the past several months, crews have upgraded sections of sidewalks along the east side of Montlake Boulevard to ADA standards and widened the sidewalks to 10 feet. To view the detour route, please see the map or online.
For more information about future phases of work in the Montlake area visit our website. To stay informed during WABN construction, you can also:
- Call the 24-hour construction hotline (206-708-4657) with pressing questions or concerns.
- Email WABN staff with your questions about the project or construction activities.
- Join us for our monthly meetings on the first Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Graham Visitors Center.
- Visit the SR 520 Orange Page for the most up-to-date information on closures and construction impacts.
- Visit the WABN project website to find general information about the project.
- Follow us on Twitter @wsdot_520 to get key news and updates about the SR 520 program.