Neighbors will be pleased to know, Canal Market won’t be closed for long! The much-loved owner of Café Lago, Carla Leonardi, has rented the market and has plans to reopen as a neighborhood market and deli with an emphasis on Italian food.
From cooking classes for the Montlake elementary students to hosting fundraisers, Carla’s commitment to the neighborhood shines through in running a successful local shop. A longtime Montlake resident herself, Carla understands what it takes to run the charming neighborhood market on Fuhrman Ave.
Recently, Carla reached out to Portage Bay & Roanoke neighbors to share the news and receive their thoughts and comments on the new market. The Montlake Flyer contacted Carla to get her permission to share some of the tidbits.
- Neighborhood markets are in her blood. Carla grew up in her parent’s Cincinnati corner grocery. “I was excited about the possibility of opening a neighborhood market and deli with an emphasis on Italian food.”
- Canal is zoned for grocery/deli and her intent is to keep it that way. The store will have several rows of grocery items-everything from toothpaste to ketchup and a deli that will include rotisserie chickens, stone hearth pizza and Italian sandwiches (meatball subs and sausage and peppers) made to order. Items such as Lago lasagna will be offered as take away items for dinners at home.
- Mornings aren’t complete without a piping hot cup of coffee or tea and a quick bite to eat. Carla’s market will offer fast paced espresso service with take away breakfast items.
- Families (well at least the kids) will love the made-in-house gelato that will be available in a cup or cone. Perfect take-away item on your walk to the playground.
- Carla shared, “we want everyone to feel welcome and well fed.” Prices will be kept as low as possible.
- Seating – The market is allowed a few stools for seating. Carla hopes the “neighbors will find our market to be a delightful place to sit and enjoy life with others from near home.” Canal Market has applied for a beer/wine license that will allow the glass pours of 2-3 everyday wines and a small selection of beers for neighbors to enjoy.
- Neighborhood meeting location – Canal will be offered as a meeting place for community events, cooking classes, book readings, etc.
Have an idea to share with Carla? Post a note in the comments section below, all comments will be forwarded for her review.