Another Montlake Project construction meeting is just around the corner. Join us Wednesday, Nov. 4, to learn more about what you can expect in Montlake and along SR 520.
When: 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 4
Crews improve signage in mid-October along East Lake Washington Boulevard in Montlake.
Stay up to date on construction activities and effects to travelers. Here’s a highlight of what you can expect in the days and weeks to come:
- Oct. 23: Single-lane closure with flagged through-traffic on Roanoke Street, along with a pedestrian detour
- Oct. 26 – Nov. 6: Closure of East North Street east of Montlake Boulevard
- Nov. 3 and Nov. 5: Early-morning closures of East Lake Washington Boulevard on-ramp to eastbound SR 520
- Sept. 21 – Nov. 27: Brief, temporary closures of SR 520 Trail over Lake Washington
Crews prepare the work area for construction of the south support wall for a Montlake freeway lid in this Oct. 14 photo.
As always, construction schedules are dynamic and subject to change. Always check the Construction Corner map for the latest updates.
We’re excited to say that last week Seattle Parks and Recreation opened Fritz Hedges Waterway Park, a new community resource on Portage Bay, funded as part of SR 520’s construction mitigation efforts. The new park features a pier, kayak launch, a small beach, open lawn space, picnic areas, and more. The project also included extensive shoreline restoration and enhancement to support native species, such as juvenile salmon. Interpretive elements will be added later this year that include information about the use of the Portage Bay Trail by Native Americans and more recent maritime history.
The new Fritz Hedges Waterway Park on Portage Bay.
The SR 520 Program provided funds to the University of Washington to help transfer the property to Seattle Parks and Recreation as part of mitigation for SR 520 construction impacts to the Washington Park Arboretum and East Montlake Park. We also provided funds for construction of the park.
You can learn more in the Fritz Hedges Waterway Park opening announcement, published by Seattle Parks and Recreation. We hope you’re able to enjoy this great new community open space!
How to reach us and stay informed about SR 520 construction:
- Call the 24-hour construction hotline (206-775-8885) with pressing Montlake Project questions or concerns.
- Call the SR 520 Program information line (206-770-3554, M-F 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) with general SR 520 inquiries.
- Email SR 520 staff with your questions about the project or construction activities.
- Visit the SR 520 Construction Corner for the most up-to-date information on closures and construction impacts.
- Visit the SR 520 Program website to find general information about the project..
- Stop by in-person at the Montlake Project Information Center (2209 E. North St.). (Please note: The Information Center is currently closed until further notice due to the COVID-19 outbreak)
- Follow us on Twitter @wsdot_520 to get key news and updates about the SR 520 program.
- View current Montlake Project construction photos, taken continuously day and night, by mounted construction cameras