Please join your neighbors Thursday December 8 at 6:15 to learn more about upcoming construction of the Portage Bay Bridge and Roanoke Lid. Meeting is at the Montlake Playfield Recreation Center. The meeting will include an update on the WSDOT SR 520 construction and discussion of ways to include community input in the process.
April 20th Deadline for Public Comments to 520 Construction Noise Variance
Tomorrow, April 20th is the deadline to submit your response to WSDOT’s application for a Noise Variance during construction (click to review application). A few highlights requested in the application:
- The right to do construction at higher noise levels 24 hours a day, for the next 7 years, the full scope of the 520 construction.
- City of Seattle’s current limit on nighttime noise is 45 db, WSDOT is requesting 80 db. With decibel scales, this over 15X the current limit.
Many neighbors, including the Montlake Community Club Board, are concerned about this noise variance. As such, the Montlake Community Club has submitted a letter opposing this variance. You may view the Community Club’s response to this variance request HERE or click to view other responses by Laurelhurst, North Capitol Hill, and Senator Jaime Pedersen.
The Montlake Community Club encourages all concerned neighbors to take advantage of the public comment period which ends tomorrow, Thursday, April 20th by sending an email with your comments concerning construction noise and hours of operations here:
Reference Project # 3027364
If you prefer to view WSDOT’s noise variance docs as PDFs rather than DOCX files, go to this Dropbox folder.
You can see all WSDOT’s material and comments already filed here. (Type in 3027364 for the project number)
Union Bay Watch | Dancing on The Wind!
This week’s post focuses on how various Union Bay birds handled last Saturday’s fierce wind and freezing cold. I hope you find the story as inspiring as the wind was for the eagles. You can read more on:
Trifecta Traffic Alert for this Weekend
A trifecta of highway closures tips off Friday evening
This weekend three major construction closures on State Route 520, State Route 99 and Interstate 5 will cause extra traffic around the greater Seattle area from late Friday, June 6, to the early morning hours of Monday, June 9. Drivers should prepare for traffic delays, allow extra time to reach their destinations, and plan trips around the closures.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Both directions of State Route 520 will be closed between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 from 11 p.m. Friday, June 6 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 9.
- The two right lanes of northbound I-5 at South Spokane Street will be closed to replace aging bridge expansion joints from 10 p.m. Friday, June 6until 5 a.m. Monday, June 9.
- Southbound State Route 99 from Denny Way to South Spokane Street will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday, June 6 until 5 a.m. Monday, June 9.
For all of the closures, and why we pack these into a single weekend, check out our latest blog.